Watch our baby grow!

pregnant

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Oh Foogo!

Welcome to the first ever product review on the Gilbert Family Blog. It may also very well be the last, as its purpose is to serve as an online writing sample for a copy-editing position for which I am applying (thanks Emily!). Wish me luck on the job!
Many of us Mamas have been caught up in the BPA-free frenzy of late, and for good reason. One product I was excited to try is the Thermos Foogo Sippy Cup. I'd read a favorable review on Safe Mama.com, a site I look to often for advice, and was sure this cup was going to be my new favorite. It boasts a fabulously toddler-friendly design with afixed handles (it's also available without handles) and is magnificently mama-friendly since it's dishwasher safe and BPA-free. Even more exciting in my book is the fact that it reportedly keeps beverages cold or hot for up to 6 hours - no more lugging around the insulated lunch box to keep the kiddos' milk cold! Also exciting: no need to find a specialty store, as the Foogo is available at Target. So, what's the catch? It leaks. Big time. Both the product website and the reviews I read touted this sippy as leak-proof. After several serious spills I figured I must have purchased a defective cup, so I exchanged my drippy sippy for a new one. No luck. I figure it must have something to do with the fact that the lid and valve are constructed of four seperate pieces that must be disassembled and reassembled with every washing, and I'm amazed the editor of Safe Mama, whose son carries his cup around by one handle all day, had no trouble with this cup. The bottom line? Though I definitely don't recommend this cup (unless you don't mind a milk-soaked diaper bag), I love the design and the great insulation. I plan to return my cup (again) and try Foogo's "Leak-Proof" Straw Bottle. Perhaps there'll be another product review here after all!

3 comments:

Charlie said...

That's so funny that I just asked you about Eli's cup today! I guess I should have just waited to read the review! =) Good luck with the job! You're a great writer! (As opposed to me who just used an exclamation point at the end of every sentence!!!)

Anonymous said...

Thats Funny, we have 2 of these and though Simon does not use them very much we have never had a leak issue. Elle also uses one.

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog. =) Had fun hanging with y'all this morning! Tell me more about this job, are there more openings....???