Watch our baby grow!

pregnant

Thursday, November 27, 2008

The joys of singing

Unfortunately I have no photo to accompany this post because it's about what Eli said, instead of what Eli did. I've actually been meaning to do this post for awhile, but Eli added another adorable anecdote to the story today, so here you go!
At every nap time and bedtime we sing to Eli. The songs are different depending on the day and who's putting him to bed. I often sing hymns to him, and end with "Jesus Loves Me." We've been singing "Jesus Loves Me" to him since he was a baby, so he's more than a little familiar with the song. One morning I brought Eli into our bed to cuddle for awhile until I was ready to get up (he woke up way too early that day!). While we were lying down, Eli started to sing..."Jesus loves me...Jesus, Jesus, Jesus...for the Bible...Bible, Bible, Bible...He is strong." Unfotunately I interrupted him with my giggles, and the song ended there, but it was so darn cute!!
Later that week at bedtime I was singing "As the Deer." Eli often asks the name of the song I'm singing and what it's about, so it didn't phase me when he interrupted my song to ask what it was called. I answered, "As the Deer" and continued to sing. He then interrupted with, "what is that song about?" I answered, "it's about God," and continued to sing. Finally, he interrupted and said, "that song is about deer!" I couldn't help but laugh and say, "well, yes it is!"
We had a similar conversation this afternoon when I sang "Come Thou Fount." Eli: "What's that song called?" Mama: "Come Thou Fount." Eli: "What's that song about?" Mama: "It's about God." Eli: "What is that song about??" Mama: "It's about God." Eli: "That song is about fountains!" Again, followed by laughter from both of us! I did take the opportunity to explain the fountain as a metaphor for God's love for us, and he seemed satisfied with the explanation. Though I'm sure we'll have a recap next time I try to sing that song! I just love the conversations we have at this age!

1 comment:

Emily Weaver Brown said...

so how do you explain what a metaphor is to a 2 year old?