Watch our baby grow!

pregnant

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oh no...it's the big 3-0!

You'll all have to excuse me for this post; I know this is Eli's blog, but this post is all about me! :)As my 30th birthday approached, I realized I had two options: try to sweep it under the rug, or embrace it and make the most of it. I chose the latter, and am so glad I did! My birthday festivities were spread out over several days, which was really fun. We started last Wednesday when Ryan's parents took us out to dinner at Cheesecake Factory - a real treat! After dinner Eli helped me eat my cheesecake and open my presents; I don't know which of us enjoyed it more. Afterward Ryan's parents took Eli home so that Ryan and I could continue our date night alone. Another treat!




My celebrations continued Friday with a fun girls' night out with several of my girlfriends. We had a great time enjoying good wine and great desserts! It was really fun to get out with the girls and just sit and chat and enjoy the time together. Thank you all so much for helping me celebrate! Special thanks to my small group girls for the awesome blouse to wear, and to Melissa for doing my hair and makeup! You girls are fabulous!
Sunday we had my "official" birthday party; we hosted a backyard barbecue for many of our friends. Despite the uncharacteristically hot weather we had a great time. The kids had a blast playing together, and Eli, Clara, and Grace kindly made "muffins" for all of us using lots of dirt and Eli's toy barbecue! We had a great time celebrating with a great group of friends, and we really appreciate you guys coming over!


Finally, I actually turned 30 on Monday, and it was a truly wonderful day. We started the day with Eli's cardiology appointment, and I was really worried about what the doctor would have to say. As always, God gave us the strength we needed and also blessed us with wonderful news...the hole in Eli's heart appears to be nearly closed! We'll go back in a year for another check-up, but the cardiologist was really positive and believes that Eli won't need any treatment. God definitely wins for best birthday gift!! (Emily, you're a close second with the amazing photo gift!). We are so grateful to the Lord for taking such good care of this precious little boy He has graciously entrusted to our care for the past two years! After our good news from the doctor we headed straight to the zoo, and from there we headed to the beach for a picnic lunch and some play time. It was really such a wonderful day!

Thank you all for your happy birthday wishes - it was a happy birthday indeed! I've decided turning 30 was really great! :)

4 comments:

Joe, Jennifer, Clara, Hannah, Eliza, Isaiah said...

Awesome post-definitely worth the wait! The picture of you at girl's night is incredible....I think you look like a hot 20 year old still! :) I guess 30 is not so bad, huh?

Steven & Jessie said...

Happy Birthday again Cheryl. It looks like you had a great b-day. We were bummed to miss out on the celebration. I agree you don't look a day over 20!

Steven & Jessie said...

Oops I meant to sign my name. That last comment was me (Jessie) not Steven (that would have been a weird comment).

Oh, Cripe! said...

I agree with Jennifer and Steven... I mean, Jessie. :) You look HOT (read that word at an octave higher) and not a day over 20. Sorry to miss out on the fun but so glad to hear you rang in your thirties in style and with great friends to boot. Great post! ;)